Position Description: Public Policy Chair, Amador County Branch AAUW
Overview of the Position: Review public policy subject matter that is available on the AAUW-CA website, periodic Action Alerts, conveyed via the California Public Policy Chair’s periodic email messages and the Perspectives newsletter and local issues which relate to AAUW’s mission. Provide information to AAUW Amador Branch members as appropriate keeping in mind the interests and sensitivities of the membership. Assist with coordination of a Candidates Forum for School Board candidates when the AAUW Board agrees to participate.
- Review sources for information about current public policy issues
- Write articles for the Branch newsletter focusing on public policy concerns
- Coordinate Branch meeting relating to public policy issues if requested by President/Board
- Coordinate a Candidates Forum for School Board candidates when the AAUW Board agrees to participate with other local organizations
- Prepare letters to legislators on bills of interest to the Branch at the direction of the President/Board
- Serve as a member of the AAUW Amador Branch Board
- Maintain Branch public policy files and procedure notebook
Specific Responsibilities to the State AAUW:
Maintain regular contact with the state public policy chair and report on local activities. Share successful public policy strategies with the state public policy chair and other branches.
Specific Responsibilities to the National Association:
Disseminate information received from AAUW on federal legislation, public policy initiatives, and the Voter Education Campaign to branch members and the community.
State and National AAUW Websites AAUW Public Policy Committee and staff, the state public policy chair and congressional district coordinator, Get the Facts, Action Alert, AAUW background and position papers, the Two-Minute Activist, AAUW’s public policy brochure, the state public policy program, Association and state bylaws and resolutions, Leader Tool Kit, Diversity Tool Kit, membership campaign materials, and recognition program materials.
Board Approved 8/16/07