Appointed Position Description: College Scholarship Chairs,
Amador County Branch, AAUW
Overview of the position: Responsibility for scholarships has been divided between two chairs: Community College and Upper Division/Graduate/Re-Entry. The chairs are responsible for forming a committee to screen and select applicants either separately or together.
- Serve on the branch board of directors.
- Committee chairs will be appointed by the President from those who have previously served on the committee. Chairs will serve for no more than two years.
- Establish a committee of three or four, excluding the chair(s). Members to serve a maximum of two three years, with membership staggered so that some experienced members remain on the committee.
- Establish a timeline for the selection process of scholarship candidates.
- Update annually the scholarship information on the website.
- Prepare and distribute applications to the appropriate entities.
- Write a press release and send to the Public Relations Chair for release to newspapers.
- Collect applications and screen for completion; distribute to committee members for review.
- With committee members, review procedures for scoring and interviewing.
- Contact applicants to set up interviews.
- Lead interview sessions and subsequent candidate selection process.
- Notify all applicants of the scholarship selection results.
- Insure that parent/guardian signs media release for recipients under 18.
- Make arrangements for the recipients and guests to attend the May awards event; provide appropriate information to the Funds Chair.
- Provide write-up and photos to Public Relations Chair for release to newspapers and to Newsletter Editor.
- Attend high school award nights to announce scholarship winners.
- Attend Funds awards event to introduce recipients.
- Follow up on last year’s recipients and instruct Treasurer as to when payments are to be made after receipt of certification of enrollment.
- The chairs of all scholarship committees will meet periodically to share resources to insure uniform procedures to the extent possible.
Former scholarship chairs and committee members Policy/Operating Procedures, Amador Branch Bylaws, Amador Branch AAUW Amador website, http://amador-ca.aauw.net/.
Approved November 17, 2011