The building at the corner of Main and Court Streets dates from 1858, after which it underwent many changes. The building survived a fire in 1862 that gutted the interior, and a third floor was added later. Through the years it was named first the Panama House, then the Republic House, until 1872 when it became the Globe Hotel. The newest incarnation of the three-story building is as a multi-use site, now named The Globe. Renovated inside and out, it retains many design characteristics from the 1850s: The Globe features a brick exterior with wooden beams holding up the second-floor balconies. Inside the outer walls are also brick and an updated tin design covers the ceilings as well as accenting additional areas throughout.
The first floor is dedicated to office space. A reception area plays host to three separate offices and a conference room with kitchen facilities. Utilities, telephone and office equipment are included. The offices are available for short- or long-term rental for out-of-towners needing temporary quarters or for a start-up business. The roomy conference room can be rented by the day. Next door to the office center is space for a new business, perhaps a site for wine tasting as Jackson currently has no such facility.
On the second and third floors are four fully-furnished and beautifully decorated suites, each running over 1,000 square feet. The units have a sitting area with a sofa bed, a kitchen/dining area and a separate bedroom. Included are a washer/dryer, dishes and cutlery, cable TV and WIFI. The second-floor rentals have balconies overlooking downtown Jackson. The units would be ideal as temporary housing for out-of-town medical personnel, attorneys or executives requiring a short- or long-term stay. All renters would need to move in are their personal items and groceries. While longer rentals are the target, shorter ones can be accommodated, such as for wedding parties or overflow family during the holidays.
Docents will be on hand to show the office center and second-floor suites. For those who wish to avoid mounting the stairs inside the building, the second floor can be directly accessed from the rear parking area off Court Street.